[Interest] Is Nokia officially done with Qt?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Jun 15 23:22:45 CEST 2012

On sexta-feira, 15 de junho de 2012 13.13.10, d3fault wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 12:02 PM, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com
> > wrote:
> >
> > On sexta-feira, 15 de junho de 2012 11.42.07, d3fault wrote:
> > > The Qt Trademark and the Nokia Corporation might die (except Qt won't
> >
> > ever
> >
> > > 'officially' die. It's in Nokia/Microsoft's best interest to not let the
> > > BSD Clause (
> >
> > http://www.kde.org/community/whatiskde/kdefreeqtfoundation.php)
> >
> > > ever get triggered. They'll release a 1-byte patch once per year, or
> >
> > maybe
> >
> > > a small bugfix or something, and it'll never get triggered)
> >
> > The foundation agreement requires a significant release.
>
> I see law's not your specialty either.

I don't know why I waste my time talking to you...

> A lawyer could easily argue that a bug fix is significant. Or maybe they do
> a couple of bugfixes, and/or some tiny feature commits?

"Important release" means a release of Qt Free Edition, providing bug fixes,
performance enhancements and new functionality, all in accordance with
industry practice for an actively developed C++ toolkit in a similar state of
development.

> How many of these tiny bug fixes/features until the release is considered
> significant? Who's the judge of that?

The Foundation board.

Section 3, (3) the Board unanimously decides to exercise the Foundation's
rights or licenses under Section 2 hereof

> The BSD Clause was a great idea in theory, but the implementation failed
> horribly. Didn't consider a buyout from a competitor who just sits on it
> [with yearly 'fake' releases].

Please. Give credit to the people who wrote the agreement.

> and what do you say Thiago, about leading a fork, should the need arise (or
> has it already?)? Imo do it through Thiago-personal, not Thiago-intel

I can't do such a thing alone. And I can't pay the salaries of everyone.