[Interest] Is Nokia officially done with Qt?

d3fault d3faultdotxbe at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 00:35:52 CEST 2012

> I don't know why I waste my time talking to you...

because you love me and want to have my babies (he tried to convince me of
this once too! I have the message digitally signed)

You're right though: I'm retarded. I thought the legal text had explicitly
used the wording 'significant release', but it doesn't. And while reading
it just now, I saw the (3) you reference below and was just about to post
my excitement.

Obviously both KDE members would vote for BSD Clause at any given moment...
but are either Matthias Ettrich or Lars Knoll ready to? Ima lol so hard if
Nokia cans their Qt division/devs (including both board members) soon. Only
Elop would make such a dumb decision... so it's actually somewhat likely.
The only other factor is both of them being 'approached' (and perhaps even
during a buyout phase where they both become MS employees). Microsoft has
deep pockets.... but they're both free software guys, so I think/hope at
least one of them won't sell out (only 75% vote needed).

The Foundation board.

> Section 3, (3) the Board unanimously decides to exercise the Foundation's
> rights or licenses under Section 2 hereof

For those tl;dr'ing, Section 2 is the BSD Clause itself.

I didn't realize they could just up and decide at any moment. I thought the
board's only role was modifying the terms of the agreement (during buyouts
etc). This is excellent news (but only "news" to me /facepalm). The 12
months without releases stuff is pretty pointless then.... it'd only kick
in if (a) Nokia didn't do any real/fake releases for 12 months AND (b) the
Nokia board members didn't 'up and decide' as per Section 3 --- which they
would, hence pointless.

My respect for the BSD Clause has grown a lot in the past 20 minutes, but I
don't get why people always refer to the 12 months portion if it. The "if
they piss off the Nokia/Free-Software devs" part is what they should
mention instead...

 Please. Give credit to the people who wrote the agreement.

Thanks broskies. Skimming made me look stupid yet again, and this trend
will probably continue indefinitely :-P. So much to read/code/do, so little
time.

 I can't do such a thing alone. And I can't pay the salaries of everyone.

You wouldn't be a alone, you'd just be a rally point. "Go to the fork that
Thiago goes to" kind of thing.

But err now I'm thinking the KDE Foundation would be a better rally point.

LGPL is good enough. The fork is more important than triggering the BSD
Clause.... but if we get both (as appears to be the case), awesome. Burn,
Nokia, burn. I'm sorry a lot of you might be losing your jobs soon, that
really sucks. Nothing good comes from it (unless you had your creative
control stripped from you and were being forced to work on certain features
that you didn't think belonged in the Qt Project *cough*QML*cough* sorry
there's a phallic object lodged in my throat ok I'll shut up now).

d3fault