[Interest] Semi-OT: What could / should Elop / Nokia have done differently?

karl.ruetz at ruetzdogz.com karl.ruetz at ruetzdogz.com
Thu Jun 21 23:32:35 CEST 2012

If I ran Nokia for a year I would analyze which mobile OS(s) is/are
dominating the markets I want to penetrate.  Obviously iOS is
proprietary so unless I want to write Apps for iStuff I have to look at
Android and Windows (mostly Android).  It is possible that it would be
best to make Android phones for the U.S., Windows phones for Asia, and
Meego or Symbian phones for Europe.  Marketing analyses would answer the
questions.  I may be wrong, but it does not appear to me that Nokia made
its product decisions for the right reasons.

What I would not do is worry too much about looking different than
Samsung, HTC, or any other vendor.  Make the primary question, "How can
sell the most phones at a profit?" rather than "How can I differentiate
myself from Samsung".  What's wrong with getting a chunk of the success
that Samsung has had?

At one time, Motorola had the lion's share of the cell phone market.
Then they got the Iridium bug.  I remember seeing the commercial of a
guy walking at the north pole answering his satellite phone.  The
question that popped into my mind was, "How many people are in this
picture?"  Just how big is the market for $3,000 phones that cost
$2.50/minute to use?  Can you really get a return on a $2 billion
investment?

Nokia, I think, made a similar mistake.  How many people in the world
are out shopping for Windows based phones?  If the answer isn't "most of
them", then why build Windows based phones?  Is the tech that much
better?  Can you build them a lot cheaper than Android?  If the answer
is no, then choose a different OS.

Karl