[Interest] Semi-OT: What could / should Elop / Nokia have done differently?

Pritam pritam_ghanghas at infosys.com
Fri Jun 22 08:07:21 CEST 2012

Hi

I would have gone ahead with android for the short term because lot of
people were/are
looking to pickup android devices. Considering Nokia's strength in
making phone that last and
over a wide price range. They could have snatched a big share from
Samsung. Samsung customer loyality is no
where near that of Nokia's or atleast wasn't at that point of time.

And I will go ahead with Meego as my own platform with one device a
year. I will make sure that device hardware is slightly
better than my android device. The hardware edge should give it some
relevance despite the fact that
software feature wise it may be behind the other platform(Android).

Get rid of Symbian completely and stream line Nokia to the most critical
operation. And I consider engineering effort critical. I am
sure Nokia had/has lot of other flab to cut.

I know none of what I said above is easy. But that is how I think it
could have had some chances and I don't consider myself a business thinker.
Probably I think about business the same way I think about my code.
Business/life is not as logical as code :-). And for the record I am still
open to the idea that "windows phone strategy might work for nokia". But
at this point of time for selfish reasons I will hope that RIM succeeds
with
its strategy. I no longer care whether Nokia lives or dies.