[Interest] Semi-OT: What could / should Elop / Nokia have done differently?

Harri Pasanen harri at mpaja.com
Fri Jun 22 16:46:18 CEST 2012

On 06/22/2012 03:27 PM, Atlant Schmidt wrote:
>    I was very fond of the strategy that I*THOUGHT*  was
>    emerging within Nokia: Use Symbian to "hold the fort"
>    until Maemo/MeeGo was "ready for prime time".

I think this was what Vanjoki was advocating.  Unfortunately he lost the
CEO race to Elop and then resigned.

Two small steps they should do now:

1.  Get Qt on Windows Phone 8.
2.  Get Qt on future Asha line.    These are the feature phones that
were supposed to evolve to Meltemi.  Even without Meltemi they probably
could be made to run Qt.

Nokia still has lots of hardware know how that should be worth
something, not to mention networks.
It will be interesting to see the WP8 phones they should introduce this
fall.

So I'd wager that Nokia will survive, but as a much smaller company.

/Harri