[Interest] Semi-OT: What could / should Elop / Nokia have done differently?

Atlant Schmidt aschmidt at dekaresearch.com
Fri Jun 22 17:48:00 CEST 2012

Harri:

> I think this was what Vanjoki was advocating.  Unfortunately
> he lost the CEO race to Elop and then resigned.

  I agree with that assessment.

> Two small steps they should do now:
>
> 1.  Get Qt on Windows Phone 8.

  I doubt Microsoft wants that or would allow it
  (although I'd love to be proven wrong).

> 2. Get Qt on future Asha line. These are the feature phones that
> were supposed to evolve to Meltemi.  Even without Meltemi they
> probably could be made to run Qt.

  I think I disagree with that. There were attempts to
  port Qt to S40 and the conclusion was that there wasn't
  enough hardware there to make it work well. I don't know
  how much more powerful the current Asha phones (still
  S40, right?) are compared to the ca. 2010 S40 phones,
  but given that the sales price continues to be driven
  down, they can't be that much more powerful and probably
  still wouldn't successfully support Qt, desirable though
  that goal might be.

                              Atlant