[Interest] Semi-OT: What could / should Elop / Nokia have done differently?

Jason H scorp1us at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 22 16:45:02 CEST 2012

Well, from a management perspective, Elop's actions (castrating Nokia to just Symbian and WP) and then the announcement by MS n WP8, is I think a ploy to beat up Nokia's stock price (now well under $3, when all this drama started it was over $8) for a cheap MS acquisition via stock. Nokia should still be riding high on that $10b that MS gave them.

From an engineering perspective, Nokia should have ported Qt to Android as a first-class SDK for Android, then pushed Qt app development on Android, which would have eased transition by consumers and developers to Meego or the Linux flavor of the day. Additionally, they could partner with RIM and or Samsung to create a third software ecosystem (I'm not including WP, because WP had no ecosystem back then) After Android was in the bag (or while, when NOK still had employees) target iOS and do the same thing there. One SDK to rule them all, one SDK to bring them to Nokia. NOK could have stolen the app development thunder and become a leader, usurping Apple and Android. People don't care what their phone runs on, they care about what their phone runs (app wise). With Ovi store, Nokia could have also opened app stored for desktop apps, and immediately targeted the two largest markets - the combined desktop markets (OSX, Win, ... and yes Lin) and the mobile
 markets (iOS, Android). Nokia, even without an OS, could have won the mobile market because it's all about winning developers. And if you write an app, and then publish it, and reach the Linux desktop user that has a Android phone, well that's two potential sales right there.

The revenues of the 6(!) platform app store would have really raked it in for Nokia, and they'd never have to ship a phone.

Qt was the key to becoming relevant. But with the firings Elop has castrated Nokia and forced the company to suckle the teat of Microsoft, until MS takes them in for pennies on the dollar. I often think that if ex-Qt engineers got together and did the work that should have been done by Nokia, they could still be a serious disruption int he market place. With their own app store, I think it would be damn profitable, and easily so.