[Interest] Semi-OT: What could / should Elop / Nokia have done differently?

Harri Pasanen harri at mpaja.com
Fri Jun 22 18:18:17 CEST 2012

On 06/22/2012 05:48 PM, Atlant Schmidt wrote:

>> Two small steps they should do now:
>>
>> 1.  Get Qt on Windows Phone 8.
>    I doubt Microsoft wants that or would allow it
>    (although I'd love to be proven wrong).

They seem to play the numbers game with their app store, which I think
is silly.   They won't reach Android or Apple anytime soon. Anyway, Qt
would help here too, making more apps available.

Smarter move would be to differentiate on quality.   Strongly curate the
app store, throw out 9/10 apps that are junk or outright scams.   The
same goes for Nokia Ovi store btw.

If any app store was consistent in keeping up the the quality, I'm sure
the actual clients would start taking notice.   Now all the app store
marketeers are shouting that my pile of trash is higher than yours.

>> 2. Get Qt on future Asha line. These are the feature phones that
>> were supposed to evolve to Meltemi.  Even without Meltemi they
>> probably could be made to run Qt.
>    I think I disagree with that. There were attempts to
>    port Qt to S40 and the conclusion was that there wasn't
>    enough hardware there to make it work well. I don't know
>    how much more powerful the current Asha phones (still
>    S40, right?) are compared to the ca. 2010 S40 phones,
>    but given that the sales price continues to be driven
>    down, they can't be that much more powerful and probably
>    still wouldn't successfully support Qt, desirable though
>    that goal might be.

The current top of the line Asha 605 has 1GHz CPU, 128Mb of RAM, 400x240
resolution.  So that could probably run Qt, but not very well.   It
would probably work better than 5800XM though, which does support Qt,
(less than half the CPU, same RAM, higher screen resolution.)  The lower
screen resolution would actually be an advantage due to memory savings.

I would expect the next iteration would bump the memory to 256Mb, which
would then be enough.   But Qt really should be part of the firmware,
not something to be downloaded.

Harri