[Interest] QMdiWindow issues under Unity

Rui Maciel rui.maciel at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 21:26:07 CET 2012

On 03/08/2012 08:45 AM, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> Similar problems can be seen with older Eclipse versions and other apps,
> Unity is simply a half-assed try at doing this by patching the hell out
> of the GUI toolkit libraries (like Qt and GTK). There's an environment
> variable that one can set to disable this behaviour: UBUNTU_MENUPROXY=1

Thanks for the tip.  Following your email, and after a bit of digging,
I've discovered another way to completely take care of this nonsense.
Basically, it's only a matter of removing a set of packages from the
system.  These packages are:

appmenu-gtk3
appmenu-gtk
appmenu-qt

After removing these packages from the system, Unity starts handling
menus in a sane manner.

> So it is a problem unique to the Unity desktop.

It does look like that.  I don't know what the people behind Unity were
smoking at the time.

> That being said you
> could've just added your QMenu to a standard layout instead of re-using
> QMainWindow in the QMdiSubWindows, its a QWidget after all and hence can
> be used in normal layouts.

That's nice to know, and it will come in handy next time I need to pull
a similar stunt.

Thanks for the help,
Rui Maciel