[Interest] QMdiWindow issues under Unity

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Mar 8 23:05:28 CET 2012

On 08.03.12 20:26:07, Rui Maciel wrote:
> On 03/08/2012 08:45 AM, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > Similar problems can be seen with older Eclipse versions and other apps,
> > Unity is simply a half-assed try at doing this by patching the hell out
> > of the GUI toolkit libraries (like Qt and GTK). There's an environment
> > variable that one can set to disable this behaviour: UBUNTU_MENUPROXY=1
>
> Thanks for the tip.  Following your email, and after a bit of digging,
> I've discovered another way to completely take care of this nonsense.
> Basically, it's only a matter of removing a set of packages from the
> system.  These packages are:
>
> appmenu-gtk3
> appmenu-gtk
> appmenu-qt
>
> After removing these packages from the system, Unity starts handling
> menus in a sane manner.

Wasn't aware you can pull the stuff out so easily, I'll need to keep
that in the back of my head.

> > So it is a problem unique to the Unity desktop.
>
> It does look like that.  I don't know what the people behind Unity were
> smoking at the time.

I guess its the usual problem of a company and the "higher management"
having specific expectations/ideas which the developers cannot easily
and quickly implement due to various technical problems that couldn't be
foreseen (for example an app using the GTK menu API in unexpected ways).
However since it works "good enough" on the software that "most users"
are using it gets shipped as default, accepting that some apps are
broken/require manual workarounds (like the environment variable).

Not much an individual can do about such things, except help in
fixing/reporting the bugs to the developers responsible for adapting the
toolkits to support the appmenu.

Andreas