[Interest] qt vs web-runtime

Stephen Bryant steve at bawue.de
Thu May 3 01:17:10 CEST 2012

Hi,

On Wednesday 02 May 2012 21:41:33 Harri Pasanen wrote:
[...]
> Binary compatibility with phones/tablets is more than just CPU.  As soon
> as you start accessing Camera, GPS, etc. you typically need to test on
> device.  Screen resolution, GPUs , RAM, storage memory all differ, so
> even if you target just Android using java, you need lots of testing.
> Phonegap or any webkit based thingy is not going to make the requirement
> for that to go away.

If you access the camera (or other local resource) from Java using the
standard APIs, you don't need to care about binary compatibility - that's what
the Dalvik VM does.

PhoneGap's backend on Android is written in Java, and it provides a bridge to
get there from JavaScript.

> If the app distribution is through Google Play (was previously called
> Market) it automatically filters by instruction set, so the user does
> not need to know.   I think you need an apk / instruction set.
>
> I'm not sure how the intel architecture is handled by the market, even
> if Intel has binary translation (they had that for Itanium too, look how
> well that panned out...).

I don't see it as quite ready for prime time - see my reply to Jason H.

Here's something new:

The May 2012 release of the Android NDK (ie: the one that's still warm from
the oven) has just had MIPS support added, so it looks like you actually can
support all of the architectures in one go - and in a single apk.

   http://developer.android.com/sdk/ndk/index.html

I shall have to go away and test it.

@Nicola: it may just be that your prayers have been answered. :-)

Steve