[Interest] qt vs web-runtime

Harri Pasanen harri at mpaja.com
Thu May 3 09:17:00 CEST 2012

On 05/03/2012 01:17 AM, Stephen Bryant wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wednesday 02 May 2012 21:41:33 Harri Pasanen wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Binary compatibility with phones/tablets is more than just CPU. As soon
>
> > as you start accessing Camera, GPS, etc. you typically need to test on
>
> > device. Screen resolution, GPUs , RAM, storage memory all differ, so
>
> > even if you target just Android using java, you need lots of testing.
>
> > Phonegap or any webkit based thingy is not going to make the requirement
>
> > for that to go away.
>
> If you access the camera (or other local resource) from Java using the
> standard APIs, you don't need to care about binary compatibility -
> that's what the Dalvik VM does.

One so wishes.  I have a camera app for Android written using plain
Android SDK and java.  It crashes on some devices, works fine on
others.   The underlying device drivers from manufacturers don't always
live up to their end of the bargain, hence ideally you'd need to test on
multiple devices no matter what programming language/environment you are
using.

Also as Android devices are a very heterogeneous lot, one is often
better off  targeting a subset.

/Harri