[Interest] qt vs web-runtime

Mandeep Sandhu mandeepsandhu.chd at gmail.com
Thu May 3 10:29:37 CEST 2012

>> If you access the camera (or other local resource) from Java using the
>> standard APIs, you don't need to care about binary compatibility -
>> that's what the Dalvik VM does.
>>

> One so wishes.  I have a camera app for Android written using plain
> Android SDK and java.  It crashes on some devices, works fine on
> others.   The underlying device drivers from manufacturers don't always
> live up to their end of the bargain, hence ideally you'd need to test on
> multiple devices no matter what programming language/environment you are
> using.
>
> Also as Android devices are a very heterogeneous lot, one is often
> better off  targeting a subset.

Quite true (esp in the case of cameras). I had bought a Samsung tab
(7") running Android 2.2 with a front facing camera. Skype on for
Android 2.2 was not able to make use of the camera (I had to upgrade
to Android 2.3 for it to work). The reason given by Skype engg was
that camera API's prior to 2.3 were not standardized and each vendor
was implementing their own soln, so it was difficult for them to
support so many devices each having its own camera access APIs.

Though that situation improved in later versions Android where they
had a more well defined API for apps to use and which the device
vendors had to implement.

Not sure if other device features too suffer from such issues.

-mandeep