[Interest] Clarification regarding Qt compilation options

Preet prismatic.project at gmail.com
Sun May 27 08:07:33 CEST 2012

Hiya,

Qt seems like it can be compiled across a lot of different platforms.
I'd like some clarification regarding the configuration options
available when compiling Qt from source. I've already looked over this
page: http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/configure-options.html.

Specifically, I wanted a list of supported values for the "-arch" and
"-xplatform" options and a bit more information regarding cross
compilation in general since I know very little about it. It looks
like the /mkspecs folder has a lot of targets available... I noticed I
can pass some options to "-arch", like "i386", but I don't see an
explicit definition for this in mkspecs, or for 'x86_64' for example.

Also, how do I figure out what platforms I can cross compile with? If
I wanted to cross compile from 32bit linux to 64bit linux, how would I
know what args to pass ./configure? Is there a general way of figuring
this out for the different platforms Qt can be compiled for or am I
not really getting how this works?

Any advice would be appreciated...

Preet