[Interest] Compiling QT5

Stephan Kanthak stylon at gmx.de
Sun Nov 11 16:37:38 CET 2012

Hi all,

I'm new to this list and also new to Qt5.

I recently downloaded the beta1 and compiled it for an OMAP4 platform
according to the following instructions: http://gpupowered.org/node/8
(originally for the alpha) and http://www.slideshare.net/prabindh
(except for some tiny patches, looks straightforward in my view). I
strictly followed the instructions, compiled
qtbase/qtjsbackend/qtdeclarative/qt3d/qtmultimedia and all seemed to
work (TI OGLES2 examples, most QT examples, QML demos, Qt3D demos,
etc.). More precisely, I configured qtbase with:

export BUILD_PATH=/home/stylon/prj/build
./configure --prefix=$BUILD_PATH/usr -release -make libs -xplatform
linux-arm-gnueabi-g++ -opengl es2 -confirm-license -opensource -no-xcb
-no-wayland -force-pkg-config -make examples -make demos -verbose

The rest was just cd <dir> && qmake && make && make install as mentioned
on the pages above.

I even wrote a small QML script myself to test animations and although I
noticed some tearing and non-smooth animations, all was working fine in
principle. Due to the little jerky animations I changed the hardcoded
refreshRate for eglfs from 60 to 50 and tried to recompile, but
recompilation already failed. I then tried to start from scratch on the
instructions from prabindh and now I always get the following error
message when compiling qtdeclarative:

indy:qtdeclarative 2505> make
cd src/ && ( test -f Makefile || /home/stylon/prj/qt/qtbase/bin/qmake
/home/stylon/prj/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.0.0-beta1/qtdeclarative/src/src.pro
-o Makefile ) && make -f Makefile
make[1]: Entering directory
`/home/stylon/prj/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.0.0-beta1/qtdeclarative/src'
cd qml/ && ( test -f Makefile || /home/stylon/prj/qt/qtbase/bin/qmake
/home/stylon/prj/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.0.0-beta1/qtdeclarative/src/qml/qml.pro
-o Makefile ) && make -f Makefile
Project ERROR: Unknown module(s) in QT_PRIVATE: v8
make[1]: *** [sub-qml-make_first-ordered] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/stylon/prj/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.0.0-beta1/qtdeclarative/src'
make: *** [sub-src-make_first] Error 2

BTW, /home/stylon/prj/qt is a link to
/home/stylon/prj/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.0.0-beta1.

As you can see above, the install directory is
/home/stylon/prj/build/usr and in
/home/stylon/prj/build/usr/mkspecs/modules I do see qt_v8.pri, but
strace'ing the call of qmake in the qtdeclarative/src/qml directory
above shows that qmake instead looks at
/home/stylon/prj/qt/qtbase/mkspecs/modules where only the qtbase
configurations can be found. /home/stylon/prj/qt/build/usr is never
being accessed at all.

Any idea what I do wrong (now)? Any idea why compilation of qt5 worked
once? I don't know anything about qmake, but overall it looks strange to
me that qmake from qtbase/bin should be able to know the configuration
of v8 from qtjsbackend at all the way I configured it now, but I can't
see how to configure it differently.

Anybody else seeing the same error? At least I found it twice on the web
via Google, but without mentioning any solution.

Thanks & best,
Stephan