[Interest] Qt5/OMAP4/EGLFS: Strange animation behaviour

Stephan Kanthak stylon at gmx.de
Wed Nov 21 08:51:37 CET 2012

Hi Prabindh,

I and probably many others very much appreciate the effort that TI does
not just release graphics drivers blindly, but also tries to publish
documentation and builds a community around it. I'm also aware of the
DRM drivers for Linaro/Ubuntu and I know the Android releases (in
despiration to find something useful, I inspected them all :-) ). But
you must also acknowledge that since you dropped support for OMAP4 from
the SDK the set of available drivers leave the gap of Linux FB support
(FB, DirectFB, Wayland, Qt). Esp. if you need to build fast booting
systems (e.g. a requirement of <3 seconds poweron-to-app for my project)
there's no way around it. Maybe you can gently push those people to also
release drivers for FB mode if that solves the problems? :-)

About the VSYNC support on OMAP4: the thread at
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/pandaboard/Ig7VrOU_zW8 tells me
that it's even not straight-forward to get it working on X11 and that
there are other people bumping into similar issues. I personally also
don't want all the hassle with starting an XServer and a window manager
just to set up my display output, esp. as EGL has been defined to avoid
the need for a complete display/window subsystem.

Best,
Stephan