[Interest] how to run 21 threads concurrently

Bo Thorsen bo at fioniasoftware.dk
Thu Oct 4 16:04:41 CEST 2012

Den 04-10-2012 15:51, Thiago Macieira skrev:
> On quinta-feira, 4 de outubro de 2012 15.46.57, André Somers wrote:
>> If you think that running 21 threads on an 8 core system will run make
>> your task go faster, then Thiago is right: you don't understand your
>> problem.
> If you run 8 threads on an 8-core system and they use the CPU fully, then
> you're running as fast as you can.

That might not be the case because he said the threads are writing to
disk. I/O use could mean that #threads > #cores is faster. But if the
computations are heavy enough, this could be wrong. Depends on what the
code does.

That said, I'd be surprised if he actually did understand the problem
completely, based on the question :P

Bo Thorsen.
Fionia Software - Qt experts for hire.