[Interest] Protect qml files from changing

Charley Bay charleyb123 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 21:02:05 CEST 2012

> Николай Шатохин requesteth:
>> I'm creating paid application. How can I protect my QML files from changing
>> to avoid app cracking?

Thiago respondeth:
> The simplest way is to put them inside the application, as resources. The QML
> engine can load from there and they're often compressed, meaning that a
> cursory search for the content on disk will not turn them up.
>
> However, a moderately knowledgeable hacker with knowledge about Qt can still
> get them and replace. There's no way to avoid this.

Agree with Thiago.

If you want to go further, you can "checksum" your application and not
run if it has been modified, or employ any of the other
security-distribution-layers-and-mechanisms to detect program changes
and invalidate changes (website registration, online keys, etc.)

This is "well-traveled-space", as there are many commercial programs
that sit upon runtime reflection/meta-interfaces that are easy to
interface-extract (e.g., all Java and C# applications have this
issue).

However, what you're probably looking for is
QML-compiled-output-for-distribution.  There has been discussion about
this, and it is quite feasible, but I'm not aware of any significant
progress on that issue at the moment (e.g., at the launch of Qt5).

--charley