[Interest] Which Qt-graphics module to choose when dealing with implementing a Wayland compositor with Qt-Compositor module?

Tim Bienias tim.bienias at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 8 22:05:42 CEST 2012

Hello qt'ers,

currently I'm developing a compositor with the QtWayland-module.
The compositor shall show Wayland-clients, but only one client at a time.
When you wipe over the surface the compositor switches to the next client.
There shall also be transparent overlays.
On the attached image, you see what picture is in my mind.

My minds picture[Link] <http://i45.tinypic.com/f2j6nt.png>

I've studied multiple ways to do Qt-graphics, but now I don't have a real
clue which to go.

The ways I figured out are:
1. Like in the example of QWindowCompositor - Create a QWindow with a
QOpenGLContext in it and render everything (Wayland-clients & overlays) on
the context. There would be a general question if i could render
GUI-elements like QPushButton on it?
2. Have one or multiple QGLWidgets where things get rendered to. One
QGLWidget for the Wayland-clients and maybe another for the overlay-icons.
Here would be an issue which painter to use - QGLPainter or QPainter?
3. GraphicsView with OpenGL rendering port and create multiple canvas for
Wayland-Clients and overlays.
4. Qt3D ?

I want to know, if you guys could share some experience and give me some
advice on what to use in this case, so that I can approximate on how to
proceed.

Cheers

tim bienias