[Interest] Is Qt Library for OS X frameworks only?

Daniel Price daniel.price at fxhome.com
Thu Oct 18 11:13:11 CEST 2012

Comments inline.

> A simple install rule will strip out the headers so they are not included in your app bundle.

My point exactly. Another choir that you have to do with Frameworks. And if you strip out the headers, they're not frameworks anymore.

>Write a script because if you are serious about development (not just doing some one-off app) you >are going to be doing this over and over again. Write a script, get it correct then you do not  >have to worry about these "deployment" issues any more.

Yes I've done this. Several times, for several products. Writing the script itself is error prone. My point is that if you build Qt without frameworks, the job is much simpler.

>Incorrect. You actually CAN share the frameworks between Qt apps. I do it with the project I work >on. I have three Apps all of which share the same set of Qt Frameworks. Again, some scripting >will solve this issue for you.

Share the Qt framework? The frameworks embedded within the app bundles are being shared between app bundles at runtime? I'm not sure that's possible on OSX and would be a violation of Apple's sandboxing rules.

<plug> I use CMake and its "BundleUtilities" function to do all of these deployment tasks and it works 100% of the time</plug>

You're assuming I have the choice to adopt CMake. I don't. It's not a simple case of 're-engineer your entire team's project and build system to simplify deployment on one particular platform'.

>See my comment from above. If you use CMake you can write (or copy) the proper CMake code to do >all of this for you.

See my comment above. The point I am trying to make is why go through all of this when Frameworks offer no benefit?