[Interest] Qt 5 and Mac App Store

Daniel Price daniel.price at fxhome.com
Fri Oct 19 15:33:19 CEST 2012

I looked into Security Scoped URLs when I was trying to a Qt app in the MAS a few months back (which is why I brought it up).

These APIs (or rather the ones relevant to sandboxing - file URLs have been around on OSX for years) were only added in the very last version of OSX Lion (10.7.3 if I remember correctly) which was no good to us as we needed Snow Leopard support. It was a showstopper and the project was scrapped. It's also the reason why apps like SourceTree were pulled from the store.

But if there are APIs to work around the sandbox, what's to stop any malicious app from just using them instead? I don't get it.

We don't need a QRecentFile class. It's not just recent files, that's just an example. What we need is for QFile and handle this automatically; if a user selects a file path through powerbox, it needs to managed a scoped URL for it so that the operation is transparent. Yes you can include .m files in your project's mac port and do it all yourself but it's stupid amount to work just to get the same stuff working again.