[Interest] Exception during ASCII cast on windows

Frédéric Martinsons frederic.martinsons at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 09:59:57 CEST 2012

Hello,

I've an application which runs nicely on linux (Qt 4.7.3 gcc 4.1.2 32 bits)
and I want it to run on windows XP 32 bits. So I've been built it inside
eclipse (not my choice, it is part of a bigger C++ project), everything was
fine until I want to execute it. It crashed poorly giving me the following
exception:

terminate called after throwing an instance of  "std::logic_error"
what() : basic_string::_S_construct NULL not valid.

I've checked that all of my char* are not NULL before casting them into
QString. Anyway running into debugger tells me it's the following line
which seems to be the culprit:

CommandLinkPOS2::CommandLinkPOS2(const QString& serverName,unsigned short
port) : CommandLink(QString(POS2_CMD),serverName,port)

And especially in qtring.h at line : inline QT_ASCII_CAST_WARN_CONSTRUCTOR
QString(const char *ch) : d(fromAscii_helper(ch)

The parent constructor is called well but it seems the exception is
launched after it (the POS2_CMD symbols is #define POS2_CMD "POS2"). The
build on windows is done against Qt 4.7.3 with mingw 5.1.8 (gcc 4.5.2).
The gcc version is newer than the one used on linux, but I'd not expected
such problem.

There is one more strange behaviour. The executable produced runs as
expected under a cygwin environment but it launches an exception under
cmd.exe or if I double click it.

Have you any clue of what is going on here. Any hint would be greatly
appreciate because I'm stuck.