[Interest] Heavily Commented Example: Simple Single Frontend with Two Backends

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Oct 23 23:23:44 CEST 2012

On terça-feira, 23 de outubro de 2012 23.58.41, Sergey Borovkov wrote:
> I did some googling and found this
> http://lists.qt.nokia.com/pipermail/qt4-feedback/2009-October/000880.html -
> you are saying that it's ok to use volatile on x86_64 here since there is
> no actual synchronization here. Or am I missing something here and cases
> are different? Sorry for nitpicking, I am just trying to fully understand
> what's happening in this case

All that I said in that email is still correct.

Note that the use of volatile in that example was to ensure that the compiler
was working at the point where I asked it to, not caching the result from some
previous code before the snippets. The rest of the email has nothing to do
with volatile.

And, in fact, the "volatile int" should more correctly be QAtomicInt from Qt
5.