[Interest] '__fastcall' incompatible with the '/clr'

alexander golks alex at golks.de
Wed Oct 31 10:10:58 CET 2012

Hello list,

i am evaluating a possible change of vs2005+qt-4.4.3 to at least
vs2010+qt-4.8.3, and perhaps qt5.X some time later on...

several of our projects use managed code, too, so we must compile with /clr
option, but with this last qt version i get many warnings like:

  ..\qchar.h(311): warning C4561: '__fastcall' incompatible with the '/clr'
  option: converting to '__stdcall'

i have searched the list and internet, but didn't find any explanation which
really says: "yes, this is NO problem. as long...".

can someone give me some more hints or explanations?
is it just a problem when calling qt methods from managed code, or will it be
save due to the conversion to __stdcall, or is there more to this problem?

can i work around by not compiling whole modules with /clr but rather switch the
mode of the code parts explicitly with e.g.:

  // unmanaged
  #pragma managed(push on)
  // some managed classes used
  #pragma managed(pop)
  // unmanaged, qt classed used, again

i would appreciate some informations && thanks for listening
alex

--
"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the
 same level of thinking we were at when we created them."