[Interest] My experience porting to Qt5 (on OS X)

Till Oliver Knoll till.oliver.knoll at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 16:30:48 CEST 2012

Hello Thiago,

Am 02.09.2012 um 15:59 schrieb Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com>:

> On domingo, 2 de setembro de 2012 13.38.33, Till Oliver Knoll wrote:
>> - ...
>
> Can you also create tasks for the above issues?

First and foremost I'd like to emphasise again here how easy it was porting my - admittedly rather small - application: it uses mostly file access, QGraphicsScene|View, a QMainWindow and some dialogs and the XML stream reader/writer.

The only API change I hit was in QDir, which after a quick consultation of the Qt5 docs was straight forward to change (and indeed an improvement ;))

So no networking or any other Qt classes which might have generated more porting effort.

But especially in the container classes I did not encounter any changes (if anybody remembers the transition from Qt 3 to 4 ;))

My application consists of several libraries and an executable, hence a "hierarchical" qmake build system with quite some *.pri/*.pro files and includes. Except that I had to add QT += widgets (in those projects where widgets are involved) also that did not pose any problem!

As for the issues I encountered: that was really just a /very/ quick and random assessment and I'd like to verify those issues with small examples first. And possibly also on OS X 10.6.8 on my main computer (with regards to the painting glitches).

And now that "Fullscreen" is supported out of the box I need to remove my "native Cocoa API hacks" first from my code before concluding that some events might possibly not get delivered ;)

But I understand we can add those issues to

  https://bugreports.qt-project.org/

as usual (selecting Qt 5 as version), right?

Cheers,
  Oliver