[Interest] fromWinHICON missing from Qt 5

Joseph Crowell joseph.w.crowell at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 02:17:45 CEST 2012

On 9/4/2012 3:13 AM, Justin Karneges wrote:

> On Monday, September 03, 2012 01:24:56 PM lars.knoll at nokia.com wrote:
>
> > On Sep 2, 2012, at 3:57 PM, ext Thiago Macieira
> <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:

> has been

> > > Yes, the QPixmap API is platform-independent, completely. The
> equivalent
>
> > > fromWinHBITMAP, fromMacCGImageRef, fromSymbianCFbsBitmap,
>
> > > fromSymbianRSgImage and fromX11Pixmap are also gone.

> > > QPixmap qt_pixmapFromWinHICON(HICON icon);
>

> > > I can't find it in any header and it isn't documented, but it's
> exported
>
> > > from QtGui. Therefore, treat it as private API for now, until future
>
> > > plans emerge.
>

> > > For the X11 ones, the idea is to add it to the proposed QtX11Support
>
> > > library, which would also bring back QX11Embed{Container,Widget},
>
> > > QX11DisplayInfo, etc. I don't know where the Mac plans place theirs.
>

> > See
>

> https://codereview.qt-project.org/#admin,project,playground/qtmacextras,inf
>
> > o for the mac specific things.
>

> > I think we should also consider adding a QtWinSupport library for
> windows
>
> > specific functionality.
>
> Interesting approach. So the idea here is to have APIs that are
> platform independent, even if the underlying code paths (e.g. within
> QPixmap) must certainly differ by platform? And if the APIs themselves
> must differ by platform, split into special "support" libraries?

It was my impression this was the whole point of Qt: A single platform
independent API which is a wrapper around different code paths for each
operating system.. If we had to split all platform specific code in to a
"support" library, it would be a very large library indeed. I think what
they mean is that functions/methods within the API which can only be
USED from a specific OS (fromWinHBITMAP and fromWinHICON for example)
should be in an OS support library. Remember the main API is supposed to
be the same on all platforms.