[Interest] qtbrowserplugin

Alexander CarĂ´t Alexander_Carot at gmx.net
Tue Sep 4 23:20:10 CEST 2012

>> OSX-Firefox: I put it into the /Library/Internet plugins folder and it
>> finally appears in my firefox plugin list. When I launch the html page
>> the browser recognized the plugin and that it is built in Carbon 32-Bit
>> mode. So far it looks allright, however, then the browser crashes.
>
> Is the browser itself a 64bit process? Could that be an issue?

Actually when Firefox discovers that the plugin is 32 Bit it asks the user
to restart in 32 Bit mode, which then after the reboot leads to the crash
previously described. However, then another idea came across: When I check
the plugin binary regarding the required libs with otool -L trivial I get:

localhost:MacOS soulalex$ otool -L trivial
trivial:
trivial (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Carbon
(compatibility version 2.0.0, current version 152.0.0)
QtGui.framework/Versions/4/QtGui (compatibility version 4.7.0, current
version 4.7.4)
QtCore.framework/Versions/4/QtCore (compatibility version 4.7.0, current
version 4.7.4)
/usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version
7.9.0)
/usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version
830.0.0)
/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version
125.2.11)
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/CoreServices
(compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 44.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Applic
ationServices (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 38.0.0)

If I compare this to Qt apps I built on MAC the distribution binaries show
this:

@executable_path/../Frameworks/QtScript.framework/Versions/4/QtScript
(compatibility version 4.8.0, current version 4.8.1)
@executable_path/../Frameworks/QtCore.framework/Versions/4/QtCore
(compatibility version 4.8.0, current version 4.8.1)
etc...

So -- I actually think that the Qt libs are not discovered ! What I
consider doing is this:

Creating a Framworks folder in the Contents-directory, copying the
required Frameworks into it and changing the path in which the binary
looks for.

Am I mistaken or should I go for it ? If yes, how can I finally change the
search path of the binary ?

>> Win-Firefox: Here the build generates a dll but I don't know how to
>> make firefox recognize it as a plugin.
>
> Just to make sure: did you follow those instructions:
>

> http://doc.qt.nokia.com/solutions/4/qtbrowserplugin/developingplugins.html
> #windows-specific-notes

Yes and now I copied it into the plugin folder and finally I can launch
it. However, the result is the same as it is on MAC, so I guess this could
also be a lib problem.

Best

Alex