[Interest] tiny fonts in linux

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 22:29:18 CEST 2012

On 08/09/12 21:19, Rollastre Prostrit wrote:
> First of all, excuse me. I bet this has been asked many times. I
> searched the answer without success, however.
>
> In a kubuntu (12.04) my own applications I write with QtCreator (2.4.1)
> and Qt (4.8) are suddenly displaying tiny fonts and they weren't earlier
> today. They are so small that it is not possible to read them. Does
> anybody know what can be happening or how it is fixed?
>
> btw: don't know if it related, but Google Earth has done so (I mean, to
> show tiny unreadable texts) since the beginning.

Google Earth has this problem with its own, bundled copy of Qt.  If
you're using Ubuntu's Qt libs, you shouldn't have this problem.

Do other Qt apps have the same problem?  Try "smplayer" for example.

Other than that, it could be a DPI problem.  What is your screen's DPI
as reported by X11?  You can find out with:

   xdpyinfo | grep resolution

Try changing it to 96:

   xrandr --dpi 96

and then start the application again.  If that seems to help, you should
configure X11 (or your graphics driver) to use a correct DPI.