[Interest] My experience porting to Qt5 (on OS X)

Stephen Chu stephen at ju-ju.com
Thu Sep 13 17:08:43 CEST 2012

On 9/13/12 10:41 AM, Daniel Price wrote:
> What are the issues with Apples version of Clang?

Apple's Clang has different versions than the official Clang release.
For example, the one in Xcode 4.4.1 claims to be 4.0 while Clang 3.2 is
not released yet. This caused some problem in compiler feature set
detection in some parts of Qt 5. They are fixed now but it was PITA back
then.

I use this table <http://clang.llvm.org/cxx_status.html> for available
C++11 features when coding. Apple's versioning makes it completely
useless. Although it tells you it's based on LLVM 3.1svn. It doesn't
tell you exactly at which point it's built. So you have no idea if a
particular bug fix is in or not.

It also requires the minimum target OS version to be no lower than 10.7
when you specify -stdlib=libc++, ignoring the fact that I can build and
bundle my own copy of libc++ for deployment to 10.6. MacPorts Clang
doesn't have this restriction.

> The biggest problem I have with Qt + clang on the mac is the dismal
> debugging. I can't get LLDB to work with Creator and Apple's ancient
> GDB is worse than useless.

It's the same situation with Qt + GCC. Debugging with Qt Creator on Mac
is in a really sad state no matter what tool chain we choose. :(