[Interest] Docking Widgets - missing features

felix felix felixover at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 15:08:59 CEST 2012

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of porting an exiting program from MFC to Qt for my
company.
The one requirement is: the GUI of the new port should be as similar as
possible to the old one, as to reduce time and cost of introducing the new
version.

Having worked with Qt before, i knew this a was a reasonable request. So
for a couple of days i walked around the building bragging about how Qt
supports everything one could wish for, and how awesome it is
in general.
A mistake, as it turns out.

The program i am porting makes heavy use of "Docking widgets". Now, prior
to bragging about it, i had checked Qt supported it, too.
It does, of course, but apparently with certain limitations.

1) I cannot dock two Docking Widgets next to each other, ie
<dock1><dock2><mainWidget>...

2) there are no docking hints. (the arrows you get when you, e.g., drag a
pane in Visual Studio)

3) there appears to be a limit on the width of docking widgets, if a
widget`s minimum size is bigger than this limit, it cant be docked at all.

4) i cant change the arrangement of tabs in a multi-dockwidget tab bar
easily, ie. without un- and re-docking the widget.

5) i cannot control the appearance of the tabbar created when multiple
docking widgets are joined together, specifically,i cannot find how to
place a close button on each tab.

Clearly, this is a bit of a bummer when i need the interfaces to be as
similar as possible.
The up-side: some dude from some other company has heard my desperate
cries, and claims they are running a private application written in Qt *that
does all these things!*
He wont send me a copy of the app, though, but i can attach a
screenshot...which indeed looks promising.

Is there any way i can do the above thing with Qt?
How did the developers of that other app do it?
Are they using an external library? If so, which one?

The Qt documentation, several forums and other programmers have stood me up
on this one...any help would be greatly appreciated. :)