[Interest] Distributing custom qt build to a group of developers

Lincoln Ramsay a1291762 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 01:15:25 CEST 2012

On 21/09/12 09:03, Adam Light wrote:

> This works pretty well except that it requires checking a lot of
> binary files into Subversion, and both committing the files and
> checking them out is very slow.
> Furthermore, as long as everyone runs svn update when I build a new
> version of Qt, we know that we are all using the same version and
> libraries.
>
> But I wonder whether there is a better way to handle this.

You probably want to keep the source code in svn but do you really need
to keep the binaries there? How often do people actually need old
binaries? I'm going to assume the answer is "not very often".

Perhaps a more useful system would be to store the source code in svn
and keep only the most recent set of binaries (in a
non-version-controlled directory). To get new binaries you can use say,
rsync and to get new source you'd use svn. A trivial script could fetch
both.

And thanks to the version-controlled sources you can still build an
older set of binaries if you need them.

--
Link