[Interest] Qt5.1 for iOS

Hamish Moffatt hamish at risingsoftware.com
Wed Apr 10 07:34:40 CEST 2013

On 10/04/13 07:13, Joshua Grauman wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm interested in diving into using Qt5.1 on iOS. Before I do though (I'm
> not a Mac or iOS user) I have two quick newbie questions for iOS:
>
> 1) I keep hearing that iOS is "locked down" or a "walled garden". If I buy
> an iPad or whatever, is it pretty easy for me to compile/build my app and
> load onto my device? (I do have a Mac for development purposes, but no
> iPad/iPhone yet). How is this normally done?
The Apple tools (Xcode etc) can treate an attached iPad/iPod/iPhone (via
USB) as a development device and install your applications on the
devices for debugging. You have to get certificates and create
development profiles (lists of devices and developers) via the Apple web
site but it's not difficult.

> 2) Once I have built/developed my app, is there any way to get my app onto
> other devices (besides the App store)? Can people download my app if their
> OS isn't jailbroken, or does it have to go through the App Store? Is there
> a way for users to put the app on their own iPad/iPhone (through USB for
> example)?

You can't distribute to end users except via the app store. You can
nominate up to 100 devices for testing on (you must enter the unique
device IDs on Apple's site), and those devices can install the app
direct via USB/iTunes, or over the air through TestFlight or similar.
Check out testflightapp.com for a handy way of distributing your app to
testers without them having to use USB.

Hamish