[Interest] Oops! Somebody's got a bad case of dependency bloat!

Christian Dähn daehn at asinteg.de
Wed Apr 10 14:38:14 CEST 2013

Hi,

> You still need Perl for building qtbase. Once you've got qtbase
> compiled, just compile the other modules you're interested in (qmake
> && make).

Like discussed last year in the mailing list and forums the dependency
to Perl for building the core is a serious problem - none of the Windows
platforms I know of has a stable Perl release - even if there is usable version
(e.g. ActiveState Perl) it has to be deployed and managed separately and
has the problem of Perl version dependencies to the Qt build tools,
which have to be resolved manually.

With Qt 4.8 commercial users get an out of the box working toolkit -
Qt 5.x breaks that and introduces more error sources and unwanted
(and I'm very sure: unneccessary) dependencies.

Why the hell does no Qt not include all build tools anymore?
Why MUST we developers/users search manually for matching tools
to just be able to compile the Qt core? For me thats a very worse joke...

So currently the build system not only is based on QMake - it needs
an external not provided scripting language, too.

Very short sighted.

Best Regards,
Christian

PS: I know Qt from version 2.3.2 on and saw many party extreme development
descisions - this one is (for the Qt core) one of the most stupid ones.