[Interest] Oops! Somebody's got a bad case of dependency bloat!

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Apr 10 18:11:54 CEST 2013

On quarta-feira, 10 de abril de 2013 09.34.57, Michael Jackson wrote:
> I'd really like to know who thought that needing perl for the build was a
> good idea when not all the platforms have it as a base installed software
> package.

Perl is a standard tool in most operating systems, which also provide a
compiler and a decent shell for free. Those people running operating systems
that don't supply a decent set of development tools can easily download it
from official sources.

And like Kai said, it's on the README.

Perl is not out-of-the-blue, it's not a recent language and it's not AT ALL
obscure. I might accept those arguments for Ruby and *maybe* for Python. No,
for Perl we don't accept it. Just install it.

ActivePerl is good.