[Interest] Oops! Somebody's got a bad case of dependency bloat!

Michael Jackson imikejackson at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 20:19:58 CEST 2013

On Apr 10, 2013, at 12:11 PM, Thiago Macieira wrote:

> On quarta-feira, 10 de abril de 2013 09.34.57, Michael Jackson wrote:
>> I'd really like to know who thought that needing perl for the build was a
>> good idea when not all the platforms have it as a base installed software
>> package.
>
> Perl is a standard tool in most operating systems, which also provide a
> compiler and a decent shell for free. Those people running operating systems
> that don't supply a decent set of development tools can easily download it
> from official sources.
>
> And like Kai said, it's on the README.
>
> Perl is not out-of-the-blue, it's not a recent language and it's not AT ALL
> obscure. I might accept those arguments for Ruby and *maybe* for Python. No,
> for Perl we don't accept it. Just install it.
>
> ActivePerl is good.
>
> --
<rant>
 Hey Thiago,
   Nothing personal here but leave your *personal* feelings out of the development environment. Yes we all have our favorites and we all have ones we don't like but at least *respect* the idea that Qt is developed on ALL of them and that EQUAL attention should be given to all the platforms. I suggest you fire up a Windows machine, make yourself a "normal" user, don't give yourself access to anywhere OTHER than your home directory and bring up a development system. You will then see why some of us complain about having to jump through hoops that NEVER should have been in there to begin with. Oh yeah, and they don't have access to places like gitorious or bitbucket because their firewalls stop it cold.</rant>

 Now, back in the Qt 4.8.x days the source package that was posted already had the "perl" parts executed on it so that I could download the source zip or gz file and simply decompress it and compile. This allowed my windows developers to compile Qt without ANY problems because they only needed Visual Studio to compile Qt.

 Is it possible to have an alternate set of source downloads that have this step already performed. Keep in off the main page if you want to and just post to the list where they are located so that we are the only ones downloading these "bloated" versions. I do not care how small the download is if I can not compile Qt it does not help.

Respectfully
---
Mike Jackson
www.bluequartz.net