[Interest] Oops! Somebody's got a bad case of dependency bloat!

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Apr 10 20:49:45 CEST 2013

On quarta-feira, 10 de abril de 2013 17.35.30, Scott Aron Bloom wrote:
> Is this really the tact you want to take?? Im sorry Thiago, I have a ton of
> respect for you, your code, and the work you have done with Qt.
>
> But I read your views on this thread as "I don't care about how hard it is
> for Windows based developers to develop Qt products"

Oh, I do care about Windows. I care enough that I build Qt on it once a month,
despite it taking 10x longer than anywhere else, the lack of decent tooling,
the braindead choice of using backslashes and drives, the lack of a compliant
POSIX API. I care enough about it that I will probably write a PE-COFF parser
to complement the existing ELF one Qt has had and the Mach-O one I wrote for
Mac last month.

I just loathe working with it. So my *personal* opinion is that anyone with
half a mind will choose to develop on Linux or, worst case scenario, on Mac OS
X, if given the option. Those are what I call decent operating systems. I'll
settle this with one word: valgrind.

Windows is not decent for development.

No, we tolerate Windows because we have to. Some projects do not have the
option of developing on (what I call) decent operating systems, with decent
and modern tooling.

And besides, Windows is *still* the biggest market for Qt. It's crucial we
keep it working.

I just don't have to like it.