[Interest] Oops! Somebody's got a bad case of dependency bloat!

Graeme Gill graeme2 at argyllcms.com
Thu Apr 11 03:23:28 CEST 2013

Thiago Macieira wrote:

> Windows is not decent for development.

I work on Linux, Mac and MSWin, and they all feel pretty similar when you're
at a bash prompt, and have vi/emacs and a good cross platform build tool at your
disposal.

So I'm afraid I don't really "get" why anyone would think one OS is clearly
unsuitable for development. I could list you a lot of +ve's and -ve's about
the system API's/libraries and their organisation and documentation (or lack of),
but even then none of them are a clear cut winner or loser in my view.

The impression being given that MSWin is a second class platform as far
as Qt development goes, is not a very positive one for any software that
needs to run on the majority of desktop platforms...

Graeme Gill.