[Interest] Oops! Somebody's got a bad case of dependency bloat!

Giuseppe D'Angelo dangelog at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 22:57:16 CEST 2013

On 10 April 2013 22:27, Christian Dähn <daehn at asinteg.de> wrote:

> Our customers (where some devs work) have > 14.000 clients and just a
> handful admins.
> So each client having special installs or special access rights must be
> maintained
> by these few people - so maybe you can imagine how the react on your last
> statements
> "just allow it" and "just do it" ;-)

Are you talking about 14,000 *developer* machines which need a Qt
built from sources? And the sysadmins responsible for those have no
way of clicking a button and installing a piece of package on all of
them? (Or, build Qt from sources on one machine and automatically
deploy it on all of the 14,000?)

What if tomorrow the developers will need package FooBar? Will that
block the work of 14,000 developers because the sysadmins cannot
install it on their machines?

--
Giuseppe D'Angelo