[Interest] Oops! Somebody's got a bad case of dependency bloat!

Cyrus Harrison cyrush at llnl.gov
Wed Apr 10 23:13:45 CEST 2013

Hi Thiago,
Thanks for the response - a binary tool to replace syncqt does sound
like a good solution.

-------

I'm sorry, but if you can't install packages how did you get a compiler
installed in the first place? And if you're not allowed to install software,
are you allowed to install Qt?

-------

Not having root permissions to install packages isn't mutually exclusive
with being able to compile and install software (and the approval to do
so).  I could get the approvals to build and install Perl everywhere,
but to undergo this I would want a strong reason to do so. Even then: I
really, *really* don't want to have to learn how to (or convince someone
else to) build perl on Windows. Again, I understand folks with this
issue are the minority, but I think it would help everyone building from
source and help Qt 5 adoption.

I don't feel that I have the perl background to take a pass at porting
syncqt to C++, but it sounds like if there is someone out there that
does - they could become a hero by resolving this.

-Cyrus