[Interest] Interest Digest, Vol 19, Issue 41

Alex Malyushytskyy alexmalvtk at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 04:05:50 CEST 2013

Danny,

I have not tried LLDB and I am not sure it will support all languages we
need, but TotalView (debugger we were using on Linux)  which is providing
close to VS features for debugging (but  decently support multi-threading
debugging) cost 3 times more than VS Professional Edition (not upgrade
which is cheaper ).

I work with VS2005, 2008 and 2010 on a daily basis. I do not remember a
single crash. But each software has bugs.
We are not talking about bugs right now.

I could keep talking about features I prefer in VS, could try to show you
that environment for development on Linux and Windows would cost you about
the same if you want a comparable decent features as far as I see them:
- compiler
- debugger
- memory management tool
- source control ( we actually do not use Microsoft solution for such
purpose )

Something Linux/Windows has out of the box, something does not.
If you do not mind to download software these days you can get a decent
development environment for free.
I would prefer to have Valgrind on Windows, but absence of its version on
Windows  was not a valid reason to consider Windows a bad platform for
development.
I think that if you pay money you can get better development environment on
Windows.
For comparable money you can get similar environment on Windows and Linux.
And cost of such environment will be cheaper then on Mac (satisfied? :) ) I
once considered to try my skills there and when I calculatex expected cost
I decided I could live without it.

Finally, if you do a serious development you can't avoid
developing/debugging/profiling on the platform you going to deliver.
Even if you use cross-platform tools like Qt, platform differences did not
magically disappear, they are just hidden,
So even if you do not like platform, you will have to deal with it, if you
want Qt to be on it.

You have more problems on Windows and are less efficient on Linux?
Ok, I am more efficient on Windows. It may or may not change in the future.
Does it make any platform of any of us bad or good?
I do not think so, even if you are in the most tasks better than me, I bet
there some when I am better.
The same can be said about platform.
We are just different.
I wish I've spent time writing this response with my family ....

Best regards and good night,
     Alex