[Interest] Rotating objects in QML are killing performance

Michael Andersen michael at steelcode.com
Mon Apr 15 12:08:34 CEST 2013

On 15 April 2013 11:56, Rutledge Shawn <Shawn.Rutledge at digia.com> wrote:

> On 12 Apr 2013, at 11:47 PM, Michael Andersen wrote:
>
> > I found the root of the problem: there is something fishy with Nvidia's
> sync to vblank implementation. If Vsync is turned off, everything works ok,
> if it is turned on then all hell breaks loose. I just downloaded and
> installed their latest drivers (310.44) and the problem still exists there.
> >
> > So, sorry for the noise, it seems Nvidia is to blame. Unfortunately
> Vsync was on to fix a different Nvidia bug, so now I have to choose the
> lesser of the two :/ I am reminded of Linus's outburst at Nvidia last
> year.. feeling pretty annoyed right now.
>
> I was having good luck with nouveau for a while, but some recent versions
> started crashing the whole system (quite hard, I couldn't even ssh in and
> tell it to reboot) so I went back to using proprietary drivers for a while.

I have also had problems with nouveau, but I never have time to file bug
reports so I can't complain.

> At the moment I can run multiple copies of glxgears, get 60 FPS and
> without much CPU usage.  I have version 313.26.

For my card, my version (310.44) is the latest that the nvidia site offers
me (and is newer than all the versions in the Ubuntu repository), what card
do you have and did you opt for beta drivers or something similar? With
sync to VBlank, I get 60FPS with almost no CPU usage until I attempt to
drag windows, then all hell breaks loose. I'll see if I can find a newer
driver and retest.