[Interest] Rotating objects in QML are killing performance

Rutledge Shawn Shawn.Rutledge at digia.com
Mon Apr 15 11:56:55 CEST 2013

On 12 Apr 2013, at 11:47 PM, Michael Andersen wrote:

> I found the root of the problem: there is something fishy with Nvidia's sync to vblank implementation. If Vsync is turned off, everything works ok, if it is turned on then all hell breaks loose. I just downloaded and installed their latest drivers (310.44) and the problem still exists there.
>
> So, sorry for the noise, it seems Nvidia is to blame. Unfortunately Vsync was on to fix a different Nvidia bug, so now I have to choose the lesser of the two :/ I am reminded of Linus's outburst at Nvidia last year.. feeling pretty annoyed right now.

I was having good luck with nouveau for a while, but some recent versions started crashing the whole system (quite hard, I couldn't even ssh in and tell it to reboot) so I went back to using proprietary drivers for a while.  At the moment I can run multiple copies of glxgears, get 60 FPS and without much CPU usage.  I have version 313.26.