[Interest] Native text rendering in Qt 5.1 on Windows

Knight Andrew Andrew.Knight at digia.com
Wed Aug 21 11:27:00 CEST 2013

Unless the non-default configure option -directwrite is passed to qtbase at configure time, the Windows QPA plugin generates glyph paths using GDI. See qtbase/src/plugins/platforms/windows/qwindowsfontengine.cpp. If configured with DirectWrite, the experimental DirectWrite font engine is used.

Note that there is a comment saying that the Windows font engine "Will probably be superseded by a common Free Type font engine in Qt 5.X.", but I'm not aware of the status of that.

-ak