[Interest] Qt3 repository

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Aug 21 19:35:09 CEST 2013

On quarta-feira, 21 de agosto de 2013 18:36:15, Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 6:14 PM, Thiago Macieira
>
> <thiago.macieira at intel.com>wrote:
> > I wouldn't call it up-to-date if it contains a lot of patches on top of
> > the
> > last official release.
>
> How would you call it? The "most fixed repository"? It doesn't really
> matter, it is what it is: the latest Qt 3 plus some patches after
> Trolltech/Nokia/Digia stopped supporting Qt 3.

I'd call it "most patched repository". Or "most recently patched repository".

I can't emit a quality assessment of whether the patches applied fix issues,
introduce issues or introduce features. No one from the Qt Project was
involved in any QA in that repository, which means we cannot offer an informed
opinion. And since no one was involved, there was no knowledge transfer. I
would at the very least be very conservative about taking anything from them.

As has been the case with Trinity, they never asked for help, they never
consulted anyone with knowledge. They just go off and do stuff.

> > Also, the tree is only qt-x11. The Mac and QWS files are missing; the
> > Windows
> > files were never released.
>
> Better than nothing if the OP is interested in Qt 3 X11

Better than nothing, sure. But whether it's better than the last official
release, tested and QA'ed by the people who made all the previous releases...
that's another story and probably subjective.

ftp://ftp.qt-project.org/qt/source/qt-embedded-free-3.3.8b.tar.gz
ftp://ftp.qt-project.org/qt/source/qt-mac-free-3.3.8b.tar.gz
ftp://ftp.qt-project.org/qt/source/qt-x11-free-3.3.8b.tar.gz