[Interest] A Christmas Toolbar

Till Oliver Knoll till.oliver.knoll at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 12:38:48 CET 2013

Am 16.12.2013 um 17:48 schrieb deDietrich Gabriel <Gabriel.deDietrich at digia.com>:

> On Dec 16, 2013, at 5:19 PM, Sensei <senseiwa at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I just tried the new Qt 5.2 on my mac, but alas, still no "native"
>> toolbar. I might need to start using qt5 soon, so I'd like to avoid
>> having the mac extras between my legs.
>>
>> Is *still* the qt mac extra a requirement for native toolbars?
>>
>> If so, is there any prospective whatsoever about bringing an end to this
>> external dependency?
>
> There are two things here that people tend to mix. If you want a native Mac toolbar, i.e. all the features of NSToolbar including the configuration panel and so on, then yes, Qt Mac Extras is the way to go.

Is the native NSToolbar in the 5.2 MacExtras supposed to work?

Because I don't see any documentation, let alone a working example in

  http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5/qtmacextras-module.html

and last time I tried to compile an earlier version of MacExtras (from some separate Git repository a couple of weeks ago) it failed to compile.

So my thinking was that the "NSToolbar based native toolbar as a MacExtra"-approach had been given up in favour of integrating that code into QWidgets again. But now I understand that there will be two solutions:

* A "look-alike" toolbar (with the same API as QToolbar), planned for 5.3, and enabled with the good old "setUnifiedToolbarOnMac" API

* A "native" NSToolbar based implementation with a "as close as possible QToolbar API" (+ the possibility to use Cocoa specific API calls), implemented and available already now (Qt 5.2) (???)

In other words, I should be able to come up with a native looking (and behaving) toolbar solution already /now/, using the (undocumented?) class in the QMacExtras module of Qt 5.2.

Can anyone confirm this?

Cheers,
  Oliver