[Interest] Poor mirror performance for the online Qt SDK

Sze Howe Koh szehowe.koh at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 00:04:50 CET 2013

Hello,

I'm finding the Online installer for unusable for downloading Qt
5.2.0. When I select "Package Manager", it takes over 5 minutes to
complete the "Retrieving component information from remote
repository..." stage. When I start the download, it crawls at an
average of 15 KiB/s, and then the connection is lost:

"Could not download archive:
http://download.qt-project.org/online/qtsdkrepository/windows_x86/desktop/qt5/qt.520.win64_msvc2012_64_opengl.essentials/5.2.0msvc2012_64_opengl_essentials.7z
: Connection closed"

I tried a few times over the span of a week, with the same outcome each time.

I entered this URL into Google Chrome, which showed me that I get
redirected to http://mirrors.hust.edu.cn/qtproject/online/qtsdkrepository/windows_x86/desktop/qt5/qt.520.win64_msvc2012_64_opengl.essentials/5.2.0msvc2012_64_opengl_essentials.7z.
The browser download also crawls at ~15 KiB/s. When I used a download
accelerator to fetch the file from mirrors.hust.edu.cn, I'm able to
achieve download speeds of 250 KiB/s (more than 16x faster).

1) I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing issues with this
mirror? I live in Australia, if that matters.
2) I know I can use the offline installer instead, but is there a way
to get the online installer to pick a different mirror?

Regards,
Sze-Howe