[Interest] OpenGL drivers

Till Oliver Knoll till.oliver.knoll at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 22:03:33 CET 2013

Am 30.12.2013 um 15:52 schrieb Christoph Feck <christoph at maxiom.de>:

> On Friday 29 November 2013 13:30:10 Sletta Gunnar wrote:
>
> Is there a simple way to stress test Qt's OpenGL support? I have Qt
> stable branch (5.2.0+) installed on my system, but do not have the
> time and expertise to code OpenGL apps, yet I want to help testing it.

Not exactly a "stress test", but the provided Qt OpenGL examples could be a start.

Note though that - at least on a Mac, OS X 10.8 Mavericks, running on an iMac 27" 2011 (AMD? nVidia? I don't know :)) - several of those examples did not work (e.g. a "black screen" instead of a spinning cube was rendered etc.).

That was with Qt 5.0 and/or 5.1, haven't checked all of them yet with Qt 5.2.

Looking at the code at that time revealed that some GL code is not "state of the art" anymore, I remember still seeing calls to glVertex and the like (deprecated "fixed pipeline" functions), the shader code still seems to be "stuck" in GLSL 1.5 or even older (which might also be because those shaders are supposed to compile/run on OpenGL ES 2.0 - I never did anything yet with "ES"), so I never really bothered.

Anyway, have a look at those GL examples: if they run on one platform but not on the other (where they are *supposed* to run, taking the supported OpenGL version into account), then it might be a GL driver issue (or a bug in Qt/the example).

:)

Cheers,
  Oliver