[Interest] Loading Qt5 libraries during boot

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Feb 1 16:30:27 CET 2013

On sexta-feira, 1 de fevereiro de 2013 15.02.49, Markus Grau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we are looking for a way to load the Qt5 libs, that are required for a Qt5
> application, during boot-time.
> Reason is:
> We are using an iMX6-quad with a Freescale BSP. Every startup of our
> application seems to get slowed down by the required loading of the Qt5
> libs (approx. 2 sec).
> We are wondering, if we could preload those libs somehow, before we are
> actually starting our application.
>
> Any ideas are appreciated!

Looks like you need a two plans of action:

1) figure out why it is taking 2 seconds loading: profile the loading and
propose patches to Qt.

2) implement the kdeinit / booster trick. I'm not sure there's a good
reference online, but here's a very, very summarised summary:
 - all applications become plugins instead
 - there is only one central application
 - the central application links to Qt but does not *use* anything
   (no QCoreApplicaiton, no QApplication, no QFile, no QObject, no QString)
 - the central application starts and listens for requests
 - each requests tells it what to plugin to start, by:
   a) fork
   b) dlopen
   c) call a main()-like function