[Interest] Sending a SMS with Qt5?

Joseph Crowell joseph.w.crowell at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 16:18:31 CET 2013

On 02/01/2013 10:49 PM, Mark wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 10:41 AM, Thiago Macieira
> <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
>> On sexta-feira, 1 de fevereiro de 2013 09.16.29, Mark wrote:
>>> Windows 7 and linux (debian).
>> What SMS-sending middleware do you have running on those systems? You don't
>> expect Qt to do magic, do you? It needs to integrate with something that know
>> how to send an SMS.
>>
>> I was expecting your answer to be "Android", "Blackberry", "MeeGo", "Sailfish
>> OS" or "Tizen".
> I think i made a little mistake here. My intention was for sending an
> SMS over some predefined service api's. Just like you can have a Qt
> side API to interact with flickr, twitter, ... So i was wondering if
> Qt had any of those service providers pre-implemented. But then again,
> those are usually third party, not Qt core or any of it's modules.
> Sorry for that little confusion.

Qt Mobility's framework was a wrapper around each phone operating
system's sms sending software. I believe certain hardware was also
required like communications hardware to talk to the cell towers and sim
chip reader to get the sms authentication codes and sms server addresses
from the sim chip/phone. Correct me if I'm wrong or don't have a full
understanding about how it all works.