[Interest] Debugging on Mac OS X

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sat Feb 23 18:34:03 CET 2013

On sábado, 23 de fevereiro de 2013 18.29.31, Paul Floyd wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to build and run an app that a colleague wrote, without too much
> success. It works OK on Linux (and Windows, but I'm not certain of that).
>
> I have
> Mac OS X 10.6.8
> XCode 4.0
> clang 3.2
> Qt 4.8.4 built with whatever compiler it chooses by default, probably GCC
> 4.2 Qt 5.0.1 built with clang 3.2, release only
>
> With Qt 4.8.4 and g++ 4.2, it crashes in the call to QApplication::exec()
> with an abort(). Even with the debug version of Qt, I can't step into this
> code. Any ideas how I can debug this problem?

How did you enable the debug libraries? Did you set DYLD_IMAGE_SUFFIX?

I've also been told you should try lldb instead of gdb. Also, if you have
Apple clang 3.2, it means you don't have the latest XCode. Can you try to
upgrade?

Does this problem happen on later versions of Mac OS X?

> In the Qt 5 version of the same code (hastily ported), I get a lockup
> earlier, in a call to QFileDialog::getExistingDirectory. The callstack
> contains
>
> mach_msg_trap
> mach_msg
> __CFRunLoopRun

Is that the entire backtrace? It contains no Qt frames there, so it doesn't
help me.

Also note that Mac OS X 10.6 is not a valid development target for Qt 5. You
have to develop on 10.7 or 10.8, but you can deploy (and debug) there.